What you'll need.
½ cup Whole Pecans, toasted
¼ cup Unsalted Butter
1 cup Light Brown Sugar
3 - 4 cups Peaches, peeled and cut into ½” wedges
¾ cup Sugar
2 Tbs All Purpose Flour
1/8th tsp Salt
¾ cup Whole Buttermilk
5 Tbs Unsalted Butter, melted
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Large Eggs, lightly beaten
1 Pie Dough, rolled flat to approximately 11” in diameter (keep refrigerated until ready to use) ¼ cup milk
Recommend Serving Additions:
Vanilla Ice Cream
What you'll do.
Directions for Bottom Layer:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
2. Pour pecans into a 11 3/4” cast iron skillet. Spread them in an even layer across the bottom of the skillet. Put the skillet in the oven and toast at 350°F for 5 – 10 minutes, or until the pecans become fragrant and slightly darker brown.
3. Remove toasted pecans from the cast iron skillet. Set aside.
4. Add butter directly to the hot (from the oven) cast iron skillet. Stir to coat the bottom of the skillet. The residual heat from being in the oven will completely melt the butter. Once melted, add light brown sugar.
5. Stir light brown sugar around the bottom of the skillet to combine with the melted butter.
6. Add toasted pecans back to the skillet. Stir pecans into the brown sugar and melted butter until combined.
7. Arrange the peach wedges by nestling them into the brown sugar, butter, and pecans. Place them around the edge of the skillet, creating a circle design. Continue to add peach wedges in the same pattern until the entire bottom of the
pan is covered. Set aside.
Directions for Middle Layer (Custard):
*Note: We recommend mixing this layer while the pecans are toasting! *
1. Using a whisk, mix sugar, flour, and salt until combined. Add buttermilk, butter, and vanilla. Mix until combined.
2. Add lightly beaten eggs. Mix until combined. Set aside until ready to use.
1. Pour the custard (middle layer) over the peaches, pecans, and brown sugar (bottom layer).
2. Remove the rolled pie dough from the refrigerator. Place it on top of the middle layer. Trim the edges of the dough to sit just inside the cast iron skillet (the edges should still touch the inside of the pan).
3. Brush the top of the crust with milk for even browning.
4. Bake on the middle rack at 350° F for 35 minutes.
5. Rotate the cast iron skillet and continue to bake for an additional 35 - 40 minutes. The pie is ready when the crust is golden brown and the peach juices are bubbling slightly.
6. Once the pie is done, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool on the counter. Serve a slice with a drizzle of caramel over the top and vanilla ice cream on the side. This pie will last in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Check out more Tips of the Trade here!