When done correctly, a Traditional Peach Pie is a thing of pure beauty. I like to leave the peach skin on to impart a rich color to the peach pie, plus it means less work peeling peaches! My recommendation is to enjoy a slice of Traditional Peach Pie warmed up with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for the full effect of this pie.
Components of the Pie:
- 1 Regular Pie Dough - Rolled out and in a 9” pie pan. Keep refrigerated.
- 1 Regular Pie Dough - Rolled out and cut into 1” strips for the lattice top. Keep refrigerated.
- Peach Filling - Recipe and Ingredients below
Ingredients: Peach Filling
- 6 cups Peaches, fresh & sliced ½” thick (leave the skin on!)
- ¾ cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup Light Brown Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon Coarse Kosher Salt
- 3 tablespoons Cornstarch
- Milk or Heavy Cream for brushing on the pie prior to baking
Directions: Preparing the Peach Filling
- Place 6 cups of sliced peaches in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine ¾ cup granulated sugar, ½ cup light brown sugar, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg, and ⅛ teaspoon coarse kosher salt. Mix completely.
- Pour the sugar and spice mixture over the peaches. Use your hands to gently mix until all of the fruit is coated. Note: Feel free to taste test at this point. If you need additional sugar or spices, add them now.
- Add 3 tablespoons of cornstarch. Use your hands to mix until all of the fruit is coated. Set aside.
Directions: Assembling and Baking the Pie:
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Remove the 9” pie pan containing the pie crust from the refrigerator.
- Pour the fruit filling into the pie crust. Use your hands to gently press down the fruit.
- Cover the fruit filling with the pie dough strips, weaving the strips together to create a lattice top. Seal the edges together by rolling under any excess dough. Note: Lay half of your pie dough strips across the pie one way, and then go back with the remaining half of pie dough strips and place them in an over-under pattern with the original pie dough strips to create the lattice pattern.
- Lightly brush the lattice strips and the edges of the pie with heavy cream or milk and sprinkle the top with sugar.
- Place the pie pan on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes at 400° F on the bottom rack of your oven.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375° F and continue to bake for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350° F, rotate the pie and bake for an additional 35 - 45 minutes. Note: Oven times vary, so look for the pie to be done when the crust is golden brown and the fruit filling is bubbling steadily.
- Remove the pie from your oven, allow it to cool for approximately two hours, and then keep the pie refrigerated until ready to serve.