This recipe makes approximately 6 servings.
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 tablespoon Baking Powder
1⁄4 teaspoon Baking Soda
3⁄4 teaspoon Coarse Kosher Salt
1 Small Lemon for Zest (same lemon can be used here as the one for the strawberries)
8 tablespoons Unsalted Butter, cut into 1⁄4” cubes
1 cup Buttermilk
Extra Heavy Cream or Milk for Brushing on Biscuits
Extra Granulated Sugar for Sprinkling on Biscuits
Extra flour for Pressing Out the Biscuits
Strawberry Compote Ingredients
4 cups Sliced Strawberries (approximately 2lbs worth)
½ cup Granulated Sugar
1 Small Lemon for Juice (same lemon can be used here as the one for the biscuits)
Whipped Cream Ingredients
2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
¼ cup Powdered Sugar
Note: You can make the Strawberry Compote and the Whipped Cream while the Biscuits are in the oven.
DIrections: Making & Baking the Biscuits
- Preheat the oven to 450° F.
- Sift 2 cups all purpose flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, and 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda into a large bowl. And 3⁄4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt and zest all of the small lemon into the bowl. Whisk all ingredients together until combined.
- Add 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter that has been cut into 1⁄4” cubes. Using your fingers cut-in the butter to the flour mixture until all of the butter is approximately pea-sized.
- Slowly pour in 1 cup of buttermilk. Using your hands or a spatula, gently fold the buttermilk into the flour and butter mixture until a slightly sticky dough is formed. Note: I like to add about ¾ cup and then mix it together. Once it is mixed together, I add the final ¼ cup.
- Using your extra flour, put a light coating of flour on your counter top or work surface. Scoop the dough out of the bowl and place it in the middle of the floured work surface. Using your hands, gently press the dough into one large rectangle that is approximately 1” thick. Note: If the dough is too sticky, you can sprinkle a little more flour on top.
- To create layers in your biscuits, fold the dough like a letter to be placed into an envelope: start at one end of the rectangle, fold it into the center, then fold the other side to the center.
- Rotate the dough, press it gently into an approximate 1” thick rectangle once again, and fold the dough like a letter once more. Repeat this 3 to 4 times. Press the dough out one final time to approximately 1” thick.
- Using a biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits. Do not twist the cutter, but rather press it straight down and lift it straight back up. Once you have no more room in the dough to cut out biscuits, gently press the extra dough back into a rectangle, and begin cutting out again, until no more dough remains.
- Place the cut out biscuits in a cast iron skillet. Brush the top of the biscuits with the extra heavy cream or milk and sprinkle sugar on top. Note: have the biscuits touching if you want soft sided biscuits, or not touching if you want crunchy side biscuits.
- Place the cast iron skillet in the oven on the bottom rack and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown on top and bottom. Remove from the oven. Note: The size biscuit you choose to make here can impact your baking time.
Directions: Strawberry Compote
- Slice 4 cups of Strawberries and put them into a medium sized bowl.
- Sprinkle ½ cup of granulated sugar over the strawberries. Stir to combine. Set aside. Note: The sugar will pull juices out of the strawberries. This is good! We want the juices. Wait to add the lemon juice until right before serving.
- Pour 2 cups of heavy whipping cream into a large bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and ¼ cup powdered sugar to the whipping cream.
Using a hand mixer, whip the cream until medium peaks form. Set aside.
- Carefully remove a baked biscuit from the cast iron skillet and use your hands to pull it apart. Place it on a plate with the inside of the biscuit facing up.
- Add the juice from one small lemon to the strawberry and sugar mixture and stir. Then spoon the strawberry compote (juice included) over the face of the biscuit.
- Top with the whipped cream and then more strawberry compote. Serve immediately and enjoy!