1 Bottom Pie Crust (in a deep-dish pie pan), keep refrigerated until ready to use
1 Top Pie Crust Cut into Lattice Strips (10 total strips), keep refrigerated until ready to use
4 c Strawberries, quartered
2 c Rhubarb, diced ¼” to ½” thick
1 c Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
½ tsp Cinnamon
Juice and Zest from 1 Small Lemon
5 Tbs Kraft Minute Tapioca (see note below)
1 Tbs Unsalted Butter, cut into quarters
Directions for Fruit Filling:
For a juicier filling:
1. Combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, lemon juice and zest, and tapioca pearls in a large bowl. Mix until combined. Set aside to macerate for 15 minutes.
For a firmer set filling:
1. Combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, lemon juice and zest in a large bowl. Mix until combined. Set aside to macerate for 15 minutes.
2. After 15 minutes, drain excess liquid and discard.
3. Grind up the tapioca in a spice grinder and use the tapioca “dust”. Add the tapioca dust to the drained fruit.
1. Pre-heat oven to 400° F.
2. Remove the bottom pie crust from the refrigerator. Pour the fruit filling into the
3. Place the butter quarters on top of the fruit. Using your hands, weave a lattice
top over the fruit and butter, trimming and tucking the excess dough.
Note: Need instructions on a lattice top? See here for a tutorial!
4. Bake the pie for 30 minutes on a baking sheet on the lowest rack.
5. Reduce the oven temperature to 350° F. Rotate the pie 180° and bake for an
additional 60 minutes. The pie is ready when the crust is golden brown and the
fruit juices are bubbling slightly.
Notes: Pie will bake faster in a convection oven. With out convection, this pie took about 1 hour and 20 minutes after dropping the oven to 350° F in my home oven.
6. Once the pie is done, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool on a wire
baking rack. Once completely cooled, slice and serve!
Note: Do not cut into a warm pie. Wait until it is cooled to slice, and then warm the slices in the microwave individually for approximately 30 seconds.