This pie has four separate parts: The corn chip crust, the chili filling, pie assembly, and the toppings. Each piece of the pie is as important as the other, so don’t skip any parts if you want the classic Frito Chili Pie feel.
Corn Chip Crust
9.5 oz Frito Corn Chips, crushed into “corn chip bits” similar in size to corn flakes.
5 Tbs Unsalted Butter, melted
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Mix the crushed corn chip bits and the melted butter together in a bowl.
- Press the buttery corn chip bits about ¾ of the way up of a 11 ¾” cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 5 minutes to set the crust.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Easy Chili Filling
1 Medium Yellow Onion, finely diced
1 Green Pepper, finely diced
1 lb Ground Beef
1 14.5oz Can Diced Tomatoes, undrained
1 10oz Can Original Rotel, undrained
1 8oz Can Tomato Sauce, undrained
1 15.5oz Can Red Kidney Beans, undrained
3 tsp Chili Powder
2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Cumin
Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Pour a tablespoon of olive oil into a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add onions, a pinch of salt, and cook until translucent. Stir frequently.
- Once onions are translucent, add green peppers. Continue to cook until softened. Stir frequently.
- Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- Place ground beef in a large dutch oven and cook over medium-high heat until browned. Drain excess fat. Return to medium-low heat.
- Add in cooked onions and green peppers. Stir until combined.
- Add chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin. Stir until combined.
- Add diced tomatoes, rotel, tomato sauce, and beans. Stir until combined.
- Simmer chili uncovered and on low heat for 10-15 minutes, allowing excess moisture to evaporate. Stir occasionally.
- Remove chili from heat once it has thickened up slightly and been heated through. Allow chili to cool off the heat for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to release heat.
Chili Pie Assembly
Assembled and Baked Corn Chip Crust
Cooked Easy Chili Filling
6 oz Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Ladle Chili Filling into the Corn Chip Crust. Spread evenly across the bottom and fill to the top of the crust.
- Evenly sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over the chili filling.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until cheese has melted and the chili filling has set.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Skillet Chili Pie Toppings
Cheddar Cheese, shredded
Serve each slice of Skillet Chili Pie with a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle or cheese, and a small handful of diced onions.