Tip: Roast the sweet potatoes ahead of time to make this recipe easier!
Components of the Pie:
1 Regular Pie Dough - Rolled out and in a 9” pie pan. Store in refrigerator while preparing filling.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes – Directions below.
Pie Filling - Recipe and Ingredients below.
Ingredients: Sweet Potato Filling
2 cups Sweet Potatoes, Roasted and Blended (This is approximately 2 – 3 large sweet potatoes. Directions on roasting and blending below.)
6 oz Evaporated Milk
2 eggs, Large
1 egg yolk, Large
½ cup White Sugar
½ cup Dark Brown Sugar
Pinch Coarse Kosher Salt
½ tsp Vanilla Extract
½ tsp Cinnamon
½ tsp Allspice
¼ tsp Nutmeg
¼ tsp Cloves
Directions: Roasting and Preparing the Sweet Potatoes:
Tip: I found that in my local grocery store, almost all of the sweet potatoes were approximately 1 lb. I roasted 3 potatoes and had leftover sweet potatoes that I used for another recipe.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400° F.
2. Wash and dry whole sweet potatoes. Prick all over with a fork and place on a baking tray.
3. Roast until soft.
Tip: Three large sweet potatoes took 1 ½ hours total in my oven at home. After an hour, check the potatoes with a fork. You should not feel any resistance when pushing the fork into the flesh of the potato. If it is still too firm, continue to roast until soft.
4. Once soft, remove potatoes from the oven and allow to cool completely.
Tip: Do this a day ahead so you don’t have to handle hot potatoes! Just refrigerate them and continue with step 5 the following day.
5. Once cooled, remove the skin from the roasted potatoes. Discard skin.
6. Using a stand mixer, hand mixer, or food processor blend the sweet potato flesh together until smooth.
Tip: For a creamier pie filling, use a food processer.
7. Measure out 2 cups and continue with mixing the pie filling.
Directions: Mixing the Pie Filling
Tip: You can do this WHILE your crust is par-baking, or ahead of time.
1. Combine roasted and blended sweet potatoes, evaporated milk, eggs, and egg yolk in a large bowl. Mix until combined.
2. Combine white sugar, dark brown sugar, salt, vanilla, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves in a separate, medium bowl. Mix until combined.
3. Pour the dry ingredients over the wet ingredients. Using a whisk, mix until combined and no lumps remain. Place in refrigerator while par-baking your pie crust.
Directions: Assembly and Baking
1. Pre-heat oven to 400° F.
2. Remove the pie shell from the refrigerator. Place the pie shell on a baking sheet and par-bake the crust by lining the crust with parchment paper and fill it to the brim with pie weights (or dried beans!).
3. Bake the weighted pie for 30 minutes on the bottom rack.
4. Remove weighted pie from the oven. Carefully remove the pie weights (or beans) as well as the parchment paper.
5. Reduce the oven temperature to 350° F. Pour sweet potato filling into par-baked pie crust. Return to oven for 25 minutes.
6. Rotate pie and bake for an additional 25 minutes. If the filling is set, remove the pie from the oven. If the pie is still wobbly, return to the oven for 5 - 10 minutes, until set.
7. Once the pie is done, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool on the counter.
8. Once cooled, this pie will last in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.