What You'll Need.
16oz Box Jumbo Elbow Macaroni Noodles
2 Cups Whole Milk, measure out and set on the counter to lose the chill from the refrigerator
2 Cups Heavy Cream, measure out and set on the counter to lose the chill from the refrigerator
4 Tbs Unsalted Butter
6 Tbs All Purpose Flour
8oz Gruyere Cheese
8oz Vermont Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese (orange)
8oz Vermont Extra Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
1 Medium Shallot, finely diced
3/4 tsp Cayenne Powder
1 lb Lobster Meat, flaked
Salt to Taste
Pepper to Taste
1 bag Unsalted Saltine Crackers, finely crushed
1.5 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
6 Tbs Unsalted Butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook macaroni according to package instructions until al dente. Drain well and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, place a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add a small splash of oil and cook shallots until translucent. Stir frequently.
- Add butter and flour to the dutch oven to create a quick roux. Whisk constantly as the butter melts and begins to come together with the flour. Once the shallots, butter, and flour come together to form a thick paste, cook until golden brown. Continue to stir as needed.
- Turn heat to low and pour milk and heavy cream over thickened roux. Whisk until combined and smooth. Continue to stir until the liquid has slightly thicken. It is ready to remove from the heat when it can coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove dutch oven from heat and stir in all of the cheeses. Add cayenne, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Add the drained macaroni and flaked lobster meat and stir until completely combined.
- Pour the macaroni and cheese into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Combine saltine crackers, old bay seasoning and butter in a bowl. Mix to coat evenly.
- Top the macaroni and cheese with the cracker crust. Bake for 20-30 minutes. The macaroni will be bubbling slight.
- Allow to cool slightly and top each serving with grated parmesan cheese.
Check out more featured recipes here.