What you'll need.
1 Dark Chocolate Bar of Your Choice (for topping the pie)
Chocolate Pie Crust:
1 Box of Pie Provisions Pie Crust Mix
¼ cup Cocoa Powder
Chocolate Pastry Cream Filling:
2½ cups Whole Milk
½ cup Heavy Cream
3 Large Egg Yolks, lightly beaten
¾ cup Sugar
3 Tbs Cornstarch
¼ tsp Salt
½ cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
½ cup Bitter-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Tbs Unsalted Butter
Salted Caramel Whipped Cream Topping:
2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
2oz Salted Caramel (find our recipe here)
What you'll do.
Directions for Chocolate Pie Crust:
*this can be done up to 3 days in advance *
1. Combine Pie Provisions Pie Crust Mix with cocoa powder. Mix until combined.
2. Continue with instructions provided inside Pie Provisions Pie Crust Mix packaging for pie crust.
3. Roll out and place in 9” pie pan. Crimp the edges. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
Directions for Blind Baked Chocolate Pie Crust:
*this can be done up to 2 days in advance or on the day you plan to serve this pie*
1. Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
2. Remove pie crust from the refrigerator. Blind Bake by lining the crust with parchment paper and fill it to the brim with pie weights (or dried beans!).
3. Bake the weighted pie for 25 minutes on the middle rack.
4. Remove weighted pie from the oven. Carefully remove the pie weights (or beans) as well as the parchment paper.
5. Using a fork, prick the crust along the entire surface of the bottom of the pie as well as the sides of the pie. Return to the oven for 10-15 additional minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Remove the crust from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
Directions for Chocolate Pastry Cream:
*this can be done up to 3 days in advance. It needs a minimum of 4 hours to cool to thicken up*
1. Combine milk, heavy cream, and egg yolks in a medium bowl. Stir to combine.
2. Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a separate bowl. Stir to combine.
3. Weight out semi-sweet and bitter-sweet chocolate chips. Set aside.
4. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients in a medium pot over medium heat. Using a whisk, stir to combine.
5. Continue to whisk while the mixture begins to warm up and slowly thicken. After 4-8 minutes of continuous whisking (to prevent the bottom from burning!), the mixture will begin to boil. Once it begins to boil, set a timer for 30 seconds. Continue to whisk the thickening pasty cream until the timer goes off.
5. Remove the pastry cream from the heat and add in the butter, vanilla, semi-sweet chocolate, and bitter-sweet chocolate. Stir until the butter and chocolates are completely melted and vanilla is mixed throughout.
6. Strain the pastry cream into a heat proof container to cool. Place plastic wrap directly in contact with the pastry cream to prevent a film from forming. Allow the pastry cream to cool in the refrigerator and thicken for a minimum of 4 hours or a maximum of 3 days.
Directions for Whipped Cream Topping:
*Do not make ahead of time. Make when ready to top the pie*
1. Combine the heavy whipping cream and Salted Caramel Sauce in a stand mixer.
2. Whip on high until fluffy and voluminous (approximately 2 minutes).
1. Spread the cooled chocolate pastry cream inside the baked chocolate pie crust, filling the pie shell completely.
2. Evenly top the pie with fresh caramel whipped cream.
3. Using a vegetable peeler, shave chocolate directly from the bar over the whipped cream and serve.
This pie will last in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Check out more Tips of the Trade here!